A(H1N1) cases jump to 77 as 3 more schools report cases

Cases of Influenza A(H1N1) jumped to 77 Wednesday as three more schools reported confirmed cases: East Asia College, St. Andrews School in Paranaque, and Ateneo de Manila High School.

De La Salle University and De La Salle-College of St. Benilde had earlier reported cases of A(H1N1), prompting school authorities to suspend classes for 10 days.

The Department of Health (DOH) said the 23 new cases were mild, and were responding well to treatment.

In a press release, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III also said there is no community transmission yet of the virus, as the new cases were traced to a person who had traveled to a country with a case of A(H1N1) infection.

DOH press release:

Update No. 37

DUQUE TO SCHOOLS: CONTINUE REPORTING ANY UNUSUAL RISE IN STUDENTS WITH FLU/ While 23 Previously Confirmed Mild Cases Now Discharged

10 June 2009

Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III today urged school authorities across the country to continue reporting to their respective local government executives any unusual occurrence of flu-like symptoms among their students especially those who travelled last summer to countries affected with the A (H1N1).

”This effort is part of the readiness of the Department of Health (DOH) to shift from containment to mitigation”, Duque said.

Duque made this call as he reported today 23 more confirmed mild A (H1N1) cases that are related to the cluster of schools that have already voluntarily suspended their classes due to the novel virus. These schools include De La Salle University Taft, East Asia College, De La Salle-College of St. Benilde, St. Andrews School Parañaque, and Ateneo de Manila High School. The new cases bring the total to 77 mild A (H1N1) confirmed cases. Twenty-three of these 77 mild cases have been discharged.

Duque said that the increase in cases was due to the relentless contact tracing done by the DOH in the five affected schools. Duque also said that the 23 new confirmed mild cases are responding well to treatments.

Duque stressed that there is still no community spread yet as the new cases were all traced to one case that earlier caught the virus during a travel to an A (H1N1) affected country.

The 23 new confirmed cases include 19 Filipinos and 4 foreigners. There are 18 males and 5 females with an age range of 8-49 years old. Seven of the new confirmed cases have a history of travel. The said cases travelled to the US and Japan.

Since May 1, 2009, the DOH has monitored a total of 667 Cases Under Observation (CUOs). Of these, 77 were positive A (H1N1) cases, 85 have pending laboratory results, and 505 were negative and have been discarded. There were 68 new CUOs today.

In their latest report dated June 8, the World Health Organization has reported 25,288 cases and 139 deaths from 73 reporting countries.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: